Friday, December 25, 2015

Simply Me (Vol. 3) - "Holiday Traditions"

Holiday Traditions Q & A

Q:  It's Christmas today, what are your holiday traditions?
A:  It depends on where I am.  This year, I am in West Virginia with my parents.  Last night, I gathered with my mom's side of the family, all 8 of us, at my grandparents' house and exchanged presents as we have for many, many Christmas Eves.  My mother's side of the family has never strayed from this tradition.

This morning after breakfast, my parents and I will open presents here in the same house I grew up in.  Even though I am over 40, the three of us have never departed from the tradition of opening our gifts from one another on Christmas morning.  Even when I am not here, Mom and Si open their presents Christmas morning.  

Later this afternoon, we will join my aunt and two uncles at my grandparent's house again for our traditional Christmas dinner - ham, turkey, dumplings, dressing, cranberry salad, corn, green beans, rolls, and this Christmas punch that my mom always makes.


Next year, I will rotate holidays and will spend Christmas Eve and Christmas day in Kentucky with my husband and his family.  Being apart for the holidays isn't ideal or easy, but when you're part of a blended family, you just have to do the best you can with the cards you've been dealt.

Q:  Do you decorate the house?
A:  A little.  I live in a very small house, so decorating can be quite...challenging.  For every decoration that comes out, something has to be relocated or stored somewhere in order to make space for the decorative item.  If I had a bigger house, I might do more, but I don't.  

Q:  What about those stockings?  Do you hang those?  
A:  Sometimes, it all depends on my mood from year to year.  This year, I did not hang them up.  We were late in getting our decorations up, so I decided to skip them.

Q:  What did you want for Christmas?  (If you post after Christmas, tell me if you got it.)
A:  I want a Hawaiian cruise with an additional 3 day land tour.  Seriously!  LOL!  I doubt I will get it, though.  That kind of present from Santa requires some stellar behavior all year long and I know I'm not up for the challenge.  I just really enjoy being ornery from time to time!  LOL!  I'll just have to keep saving up for Hawaii - it will be a Christmas present to myself one day!

Q:  What was the best Christmas gift you received?
A:  I'm not sure if the prompt is referring to best gift received this Christmas or the best gift I've ever received.  So, I'm going to refer you to my post from Tuesday, in case you haven't seen it already, in which I countdown the 10 most memorable Christmas gifts from my youth.  

Q:  Did you have everything you need in life?  
A:  Yes.  I have a roof over my head and food to eat.  I have a job that I usually enjoy that pays me enough so that I can pay for the roof over my head, the food that I eat, the clothes that I wear, the water that runs out of the faucet, the electricity that keeps my house comfortable, the car that I drive, and the gas I put into my car.  Once all the bills are paid, there is enough left over to do some fun stuff and to allow me some indulgences in life like Redken shampoo and conditioner, hand soap and hand sanitizer from Bath and Body Works, massages, and audiobooks.  I have a great husband who loves me and "gets" me, a wonderful, supportive family whom I am very close with, and some of the most awesome friends a gal could ever have.  Everything else that comes my way in this life is just an added bonus.

What are some of your Christmas traditions (if you celebrate Christmas)?

Wishing you blessings of peace and happiness.


Linking up with Liz @ Sundays with Sophie 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...