Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Five Things I Am Doing on Valentine's Day


On Monday, I published a piece titled, "Three Things I'm Not Doing on Valentine's Day."  Because I believe in balance, I decided to share some of the things I will be doing today.  Here we go, in no particular order:


SENDING VALENTINES TO MY GRANDMOTHER, MOTHER, AUNT, AND BEST FRIEND

Although I've disliked sharing my birthday with the second most commercialize holiday for the majority of my life, there was a time in fact that I actually enjoyed it - in elementary school.  I have very fond memories of the valentine exchange, from selecting and filling out my valentines to crafting my "mailbox" out of a shoebox and construction paper to opening the valentines I received from classmates.  So, in the spirit of those early valentine exchanges, I'm sending cards to four of the most influential women in my life, women who have loved me unconditionally and been my biggest cheerleaders throughout my life, women whom I love dearly.  Once you strip away all the fluff of this commercialized holiday, isn't love supposed to be what today is about?   I never take for granted the opportunity to tell these women that I love them, but it never hurts to say it extra.

TAKING THE DAY OFF

This really has nothing to do with Valentine's Day, but since I share my birthday with it, it's hard to separate the two.  

A few years ago, I took my birthday off, making the already long Presidents Day weekend a little longer so that my husband and I could head south for a much needed winter escape.  Before that, I had always worked on my birthday.  I enjoyed the experience so much that I decided to take the day off for my birthday every year, even if I had no travel plans for that day. This year, I'm getting a massage.

ENJOYING LUNCH WITH MY HUSBAND

I may not be able to eat dinner out this evening without enduring the crowds and long wait times, but I can go out to  lunch.  Given that I work in a public school system, where lunch is a rushed 20-25 minutes and usually consists of a salad or a microwaved Lean Cuisine, going out for lunch is a rare treat.   

INDULGING IN A DECADENT RED VELVET CUPCAKE

As I mentioned Monday, I don't partake in any Valentine candy because the calories simply aren't worth it. If I'm going to consume something sugary, I want to make sure its worth my while.  The red velvet cupcakes from Gigi's are definitely worth it!

REMEMBERING AND THANKING MY LUCKY STARS

This, like taking the day off, is something I do more for my birthday than for Valentine's Day.  

I just finished my 44th trip around the sun.  I have several school and classmates who will never make it to this milestone.   About six or seven years ago, I started this simple tradition - to remember those who have gone before me on my birthday.  I remember friends from school whose lives were cut short as well as family members who have already passed and I do so with a grateful heart, grateful that I've been blessed with as many years as I have.  Tomorrow is never a guarantee nor is making it to the next birthday.


-|-

I hope this finds you doing well and enjoying today regardless if you celebrate Valentine's Day or not. Happy Wednesday to you!

3 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful day off!

    I don't do anything special for Valentine's Day but I do send silly kids cards (those cheap ones you buy in bulk for school) to my friends. It's fun and a little something nice but not overboard.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...